Passport Information and Help Center

FAQ – New Adult Passport

  • It says I need to appear in person, isn't that what you are doing for me?

    If you are NOT using a third party expeditor, that is correct.
    IF you ARE using a third party expediting service, such as, you ONLY need to visit a Passport Acceptance Agent located within your local post office or county clerk. This is necessary for the Acceptance Agent to verify your identity (DO NOT sign the application until you are in front of the agent!) The agent will seal the appropriate documents into an envelope. It is this sealed envelope that you will send to us for expediting.

    To find a Passport Acceptance Facility near you, see

  • With your service, how do I get my photos to you?

    If you are using our service, your application and photos are sent via overnight shipping.

  • How long is my US passport valid?

    If your US passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older, your passport is valid for 10 years. If your US passport was issued when you were 15 years old or younger, your passport is valid for 5 years.

  • I was adopted and don't have a birth certificate?

    You must submit the adoption paperwork and if you are a parent applying for an adopted child's passport, you must submit identification that you are the adopter on the adoption papers.

  • Where can I get a copy of my Birth Certificate?

    There are a couple of ways you can get a certified copy of your birth certificate.

    1. You can order your birth certificate online with VitalChek's express birth certificate ordering service.
    2. Call or go to the Vital Statistics office in the state or county where you were born. Usually you can go to that office and present ID to get a certified copy, or they can overnight a copy to you.
    3. If you have had a passport before, even one that is lost or expired, you can request a file search by the Department of State. This option has an additional charge of $150, but will not delay the processing of your passport.
  • What if I don't have a driver's license for proof of identity?

    Unfortunately, if you do not have a primary form of ID such as a driver's license, military ID or State ID card you will not be able to secure a US passport.

  • Is there any way my passport application can be denied or rejected?

    Passport applications may be denied or rejected for several reasons. The most common reason is that the application is missing the necessary documents, such as an original birth certificate, proper photographs or correct fee. Also, passports will be denied for the following reasons: outstanding child support, unpaid Federal taxes in excess of $50,000, outstanding felony/criminal warrant (not including civil infractions or parking tickets), or a prior felony conviction that prohibits international travel. Please be advised that the Department of State has the right to request additional documents at its discretion.

  • How do I claim US Citizenship if my parents were naturalized?

    If you claim US Citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

  • I was born abroad and became a naturalized citizen, can I get a US Passport?

    Yes, you can! You must submit your original naturalization certificate with your application. Your documents will be returned by the agency with your new passport.

Click Here to Get a New Passport