Government Passport Fees and Payment
- DO NOT use temporary or starter checks.
- Must be a check or money order.
- Check must be made payable to "US Department of State." It must be written as "US Department of State" – do not abbreviate.
- Amount must be written out in full. $170 should be written as "One Hundred Seventy and 00/100."
- Write applicant's full name and date of birth on the memo line of the check or money order.
- All personal checks must show a printed address.
See examples below to make sure that your check is correct:
Making out the check correctly:
Be sure "US Department of State" is spelled out correctly, do not abbreviate.
Write out the check amount in full:
Make sure the amount is correctly represented as "One hundred seventy 00/100".
Both of these examples show the incorrect way to display the written amount.