Passport Information and Help Center

FAQ – Lost/Stolen Passport

  • It says I need to appear in person, isn't that what you are doing for me?

    If you are NOT using a third party expeditor, that is correct.
    IF you ARE using a third party expediting service, such as, you ONLY need to visit a Passport Acceptance Agent located within your local post office or county clerk. This is necessary for the Acceptance Agent to verify your identity (DO NOT sign the application until you are in front of the agent!) The agent will seal the appropriate documents into an envelope. It is this sealed envelope that you will send to us for expediting.

    To find a Passport Acceptance Facility near you, visit

  • I have a passport but I just can't find it right now, can I still travel internationally?

    No, you must have your valid passport in your possession.

  • I have a copy of my valid passport, can I use that for international travel?

    No, you cannot use a photocopy of your passport for international travel. You must have a valid passport book in your possession when you travel.

  • My lost passport is still valid, can I just renew it?

    No, in order to renew your passport, you must be able to submit your current valid passport with your application. If your passport is valid and lost, it is strongly recommended to report it lost in order to protect your identity. You can report it lost and apply for a new passport at the same time.

  • I found my lost passport, can I use it?

    Passports reported lost or stolen are immediately invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

  • Help! My passport has already been issued and mailed to me, but I have not received it. What do I do?

    You have 90 days from the date your passport was issued to report that you have not yet received it in the mail. If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days of the issue date, you will be required to reapply and submit the full passport fee. If 90 days have passed and you need your passport quickly, can help expedite a new passport for you.

  • What do I do if I lost my passport while traveling overseas?

    For passports lost or stolen overseas, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Plan ahead and bring a copy of the information page of your passport and keep this backup copy in a different location than your passport. This can expedite the processing of your temporary passport at the consulate. Once you return to the United States using your emergency passport, contact Rush My Passport to help you to extend your passport for the full 10-year period.

  • How do I get my photos to you?

    If you are using our service, your application and photos are sent via overnight shipping.

  • I lost my child's passport, can I replace it?

    Yes, you can replace it. Apply for a child passport and you will include a statement regarding a lost passport.

  • I lost my passport, how do I replace my passport if my name has changed?

    You will follow the instructions for a lost passport and will also be required to submit an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree which proves your legal name change.

  • I lost my expired passport. Can I renew it?

    In order to renew your passport, you must be able to submit your most recently issued passport with your application. In the event you do not have your passport in your possession, you will need to apply using the lost passport service. This requires the same steps as applying for a new passport plus the statement explaining how your passport was lost (DS-64).

  • What if I'm not sure whether my passport was lost or stolen?

    If you are not sure whether your passport was lost or stolen, select the lost passport service and you can explain further in the part of the application known as the statement regarding a lost passport.

Click Here to Replace Your Stolen Passport


Click Here to Replace Your Lost Passport