If you lost your passport, what would you do? How would you protect your personal information while ensuring that your travel plans are not interrupted? Make sure you know what to do if you lost your passport. Follow our Lost Passport Replacement instructions below:

Step 1: Report the Lost Passport

Before you give up on finding your passport, stop, take a deep breath and commit to looking one more time. Try the steps outlined in Finding a Lost Passport. After you’ve reported it missing, you can’t use it to travel again even if it turns up later.

Once you’ve been forced to give up the ghost, however, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 to report the loss so that nobody else will be able to use your passport for travel.

Step 2: Gather Documents

After reporting your lost passport, start gathering the documents needed to replace it. Make sure you have everything outlined below:

  • Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or other government-issued ID.
  • Proof of citizenship, such as a certified copy of your birth certificate, previously issued US passport, naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.
  •  A copy of passport application form DS-11.
  • A copy of passport application form DS-64.
  • One passport photo.
  • A check or money order to pay the appropriate fees.

Step 3: Apply for a Lost Passport Replacement

Anyone who needs to replace a lost passport must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility, like a post office or a library. Bring all of the documents listed above, and remember not to sign form DS-11 until the passport agent instructs you to do so.

After you’ve submitted the paperwork, you should receive your replacement passport in the mail within six weeks if you applied for regular service and at least three weeks if you applied for expedited processing via the State Department.

For faster service, you can make an appointment at one of the country’s 24 regional passport agencies if you’re within two weeks of your travel date. Alternately, you can use a private service like RushMyPassport to get your passport application hand-delivered to the State Department, for processing within 24 hours with no need to make an appointment or travel to one of these passport agency locations.

Let RushMyPassport help you get your lost passport replaced quickly!

Lost Your Passport Overseas?

If you are currently traveling overseas and you’ve lost your passport, don’t despair. Stay calm and locate your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. They will be able to help you get a temporary passport to return home. You may need to apply for a full passport replacement upon your return to the U.S. as the replacement passport issued overseas may be limited validity for one year. For more information on the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, visit the U.S. Department of State website.