Starting December 27th, 2021, the Department of State will increase fees for a passport book by $20 for all customers. Price updates reflected here.


Whether it’s lost, damaged or expired, the sinking feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you realize your passport needs to be replaced fast has got to be one of the worst sensations in the world.

Getting a new passport is generally a fairly straightforward process, but if you are about to leave the country the extra legwork involved in getting the replacement expedited can seem daunting. Here’s what you need to know to make sure your plane doesn’t leave the airport without you.

Passport Replacement Services for Lost or Damaged Passports

If your passport is lost or has been damaged, you’ll need to apply in person to get it replaced. Bring the following documents with you to the passport office :

  • Proof of identification (both the original and a photocopy)
  • Proof of citizenship
  • One passport photo
  • Passport application Form DS-11. It’s okay to fill the form out in advance, but don’t sign it until you get to the passport office and are instructed to so.
  • Form DS-64, describing what happened to your old passport
  • The fee of $155 for a passport book plus an additional $60 fee if you need your passport expedited.

Passport Replacement Services for Expired Passports

If you’re replacing an expired passport, on the other hand, you can probably apply by mail. To find out for sure, test yourself. If can answer “yes” to all of the questions below, you’re good to go:

  • Is your current passport still in your possession and undamaged?
  • Were you 16 years old or older when you acquired your current passport?
  • Was your current passport issued within the last 15 years?
  • If you need to request a name change, do you have a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order to support your request?

If you’re eligible to apply by mail, simply fill out passport renewal form DS-82 and send it in along with one new passport photo, your current passport, and a check or money order to pay the required fee of $130 for a passport book. Again, expedited service is an additional $60.

If you ordered regular passport processing, you should allow at least 8-12 weeks for your passport to be replaced. If you ordered expedited processing, allow at least 5-7 weeks.

For faster service, if you are leaving the country within the next 2 weeks you can make an appointment at one of the regional Passport Agency offices scattered throughout the country. As you can imagine, with only limited offices serving the entire US, for many people this will mean incurring additional costs and hassles from traveling and having to take time off work. A more convenient option is to use a private passport expediter like RushMyPassport. We personally deliver your application directly to the Department of State and help make sure you have your passport in time for your upcoming trip.

For fast, convenient passport replacement services, contact us today!