Your passport is one of the most important documents you will ever own. The new passport application process can be overwhelming, but we will make it easy to understand. There are different passport processing speeds you can choose, and different fees for each speed option. But whether you need your passport processed within 24 hours or the standard 4-6 weeks, the new passport application process is largely the same. This post will help you understand the required documents and fees to apply for a new passport.
New Passport Required Documents
For a New or First Time passport, you’ll need to gather the following required documents:
- Form DS-11 application (this can be done online and printed, but don’t sign it until you get to the acceptance agency and an agent gives you the go-ahead).
- Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or an undamaged US passport).
- Proof of identity (usually a driver’s license or state-issued ID card)
- Photocopy of the ID you submitted.
- 2 passport photos.
Next, you will need to visit a local passport acceptance facility to pay the ‘execution fee’, which are usually places like libraries, county court clerks and post offices. You can find the nearest one here.
New Passport Fees
The passport fees are required for all passport applicants. The application fee will be paid using a check or money order. The ‘execution fee’ is paid at the local passport acceptance facility that adjudicates your documents. Often they will accept credit/debit card payments.
Here is a breakdown of the required new passport fees:
- For adults, a $110 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
- For children under 16, an $80 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
- For expedited service, a $60.00 expediting fee plus $14.95 for overnight delivery (optional, but recommended).
How to Expedite Your New Passport
Currently, it takes about 6 weeks for a normal passport application to be processed and about 3 weeks for an expedited application. If you need your passport more quickly, a private passport expediting company like RushMyPassport.com is the easiest way to go. We can have your application processed in as little as 24 hours! A trusted passport service like RushMyPassport will also provide a team of passport specialists that can assist you with every step of the application process.