Your passport is one of the most important documents you will ever own, and the process to get one can be overwhelming. There are different passport processing speeds, fees, and required documents, but we will make it easy to understand how to apply for a new passport.
Whether you need your passport in 1 week, or 13 weeks, the new passport application process is largely the same. This post will help you understand the required documents, fees, and how to apply for a new passport.
New Passport Required Documents
For a New or First Time passport, you’ll need to gather the following required documents:
- Form DS-11 application (this can be done online and printed, but don’t sign it until you get to the acceptance agency and an agent gives you the go-ahead).
- Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or an undamaged US passport).
- Proof of identity (usually a driver’s license or state-issued ID card)
- Photocopy of the ID you submitted.
- 2 passport photos.
Next, you will need to visit a local passport acceptance facility to pay the ‘execution fee’, which are usually places like libraries, county court clerks and post offices. You can find the nearest one here.
Passport fees are required for all passport applicants. The application fee will be paid using a check or money order. The ‘execution fee’ is paid at the local passport acceptance facility that adjudicates your documents. Passport acceptance facilities will often accept credit or debit card payments.
Here is a breakdown of the required fees for a new passport:
- For adults, a $130 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
- For children under 16, an $100 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
- For expedited service, a $60.00 expediting fee plus approximately $16 for overnight delivery (optional, but recommended).
How to Expedite Your Passport
Currently, it takes up to 13 weeks for routine processing of a passport and up to 9 weeks for an expedited passport. If you need your passport quicker, a private passport expediting company like RushMyPassport.com is the easiest way to go. We can have your application processed in as little as 7 business days. A trusted passport service like RushMyPassport will also provide a team of passport specialists that can assist you with every step of the application process. Get started online, or visit one of our 2000 partnered FedEx Office locations near you.