When you apply for an emergency passport, you need to have all of your ducks in a row. If you make a mistake when you apply, you might not get a second chance. This emergency passport checklist will help.
- If you’ve scheduled an emergency passport appointment at a Regional Passport Agency, you’ll need to bring your appointment time and confirmation number.
- The correct passport application form, depending on whether you are getting a new passport, renewing your passport, or replacing a lost or stolen passport.
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Citizenship
- 2 matching passport photos
- Government Fees (check or money order only)
- Travel Itinerary showing the date that you need the emergency passport.
- If you choose to use a private passport expediting company instead of going to a Regional Passport Agency, you’ll need an authorization letter giving the company permission to apply on your behalf.
There are two different ways to go about getting an emergency passport. The government has Regional Passport Agency offices scattered across the country where you can apply in person, or you can pay a private passport expediting company to submit your application. There are advantages to each method, but for most people, using a private passport expediting service is a wise investment. That’s because there are only 21 of these offices to serve the entire country-meaning that your nearest office could be hours away. They won’t see you without an appointment, and if the office is backed up it may not be possible to get an appointment immediately.
With a private passport expediting company, you don’t have to make an appointment or drive to a regional passport agency. Instead, you can just go to a local passport acceptance facility, usually a library or post office, to get your documents sealed. Then, your application is express mailed to the expediting company. The expediting company delivers your documents by hand to the Department of State for emergency processing, and your emergency passport is mailed back to you.
A private passport expediting company can get your passport application processed in as little as 24 hours, if necessary. They can also help you by providing you with expert advice and assistance on filling out your passport application. If you need your passport quickly, this is the most painless way to make it happen.