*The passport fees have recently changed. As of April 2nd, 2018, the passport acceptance fee has gone up from $25 to $35.


What do you need for a passport? That’s a good question, and one that you need to have answered before you apply. The required documents will vary depending on whether you are applying for a new passport, applying for a passport renewal, or replacing a US passport that was lost or stolen.

For a New Passport

To get a new passport, you must apply in person at a passport acceptance office. These facilities are generally found in post offices, but acceptance services may also be available in libraries and municipal buildings. You can search for the most convenient location at the Department of State’s website.

You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or state ID card.
  • Proof of citizenship, which could include a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.
  • A photocopy of your ID.
  • 1 passport photo
  • A completed copy of passport application form DS-11. Please note that while it’s okay to fill out the form in advance, under no circumstances should you sign the form until the person taking your application instructs you to.
  • An acceptable form of payment to pay the fees. Contact the acceptance office to see what they accept. For a new US passport book, you’ll need to shell out $135.

To Replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport

You also need to apply in person if you are replacing a US passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged.

To replace it, you need all the same documents listed above, plus a copy of passport application form DS-64, describing how you lost it.

Passport Renewal

Now, what do you need for a passport renewal? In most cases, you will be able to renew by mail, so long as you can honestly say “yes” to all of the following questions:

  • You still have your passport, and it has not been damaged.
  • Your US passport was issued less than 15 years ago, and you received it after you turned 16.
  • If you have changed your name, you can submit legal documents to support your name change request when you apply for your passport renewal.

As long you’re eligible to renew by mail, all you need is your current US passport, 1 photo, money to pay the renewal fee of $110 and passport renewal application DS-82.

There’s one other thing you’ll need: Time. Once you’ve submitted your application, processing can take 6 weeks or more for regular service. Pay a $60 expedite fee to the State Department, and you could still find yourself waiting three weeks.

If you need your application processed any faster, you must either make an appointment at one of the country’s 24 regional passport agency offices, or use a private company like RushMyPassport. Using an expediting company is definitely more convenient and often less expensive when you consider travel costs and the costs of taking off work. We personally deliver your paperwork to the Department of State, for processing in as little as 24 hours!

Need a passport? Let us help!