Seattle residents who need an emergency passport should be sure they head to the right address. Earlier this month, the office moved from its previous location in the Jackson Federal building to a new location in the Fifth and Yesler Building. The move reflects the increased demand for emergency passports in the Seattle area since they became required for most travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. According to the Seattle Times, the new office is roomier and has more service windows.
The Seattle Passport Agency is one of 24 regional passport agency offices sprinkled throughout the US. These offices serve as emergency passport offices for US citizens who have booked an international trip within the next two weeks and require a new passport or a passport renewal for travel. You are also eligible to use the office if you are traveling within the next four weeks to a country that requires you to apply for a travel visa before leaving the US. Here’s how it works:
- Make an appointment: all passport agency offices are open by appointment only. To reserve your appointment, call 1-877-487-2778. The passport office has limited operating hours of 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, so if you work first shift, you may need to ask for additional time off to make the appointment.
- Come to the new office, located at in suite 600 of the Fifth and Yessler building at 300 5th Avenue in Seattle. Be punctual: if you miss your scheduled appointment time, you’ll have to reschedule.
- Bring all of the documents needed to apply for an emergency passport or passport renewal. For details, see How to Apply for a New Passport and Passport Renewal: A Step-by-Step Guide. Call the National Passport Center at 1-877-487-2778 if you have any questions about what to bring.
- Bring proof of travel, such as a flight itinerary. For car trips into Canada, see What Can I Use as Proof of Travel When Driving to Mexico or Canada?
- At the office, pay the required fees.
As long as you have all the paperwork in order, you should be able to get an emergency passport from the passport office within 24 hours.
However, if you can’t make it to the agency office or you just don’t want to fool with making an appointment, there is a more convenient option: using a private expediting company like RushMyPassport. We personally deliver your application to the Department of State, for processing in as little as 24 hours, with no need to make an appointment or wait in line. If you are applying for a new passport, you’ll need to go to a post office or other acceptance facility to have your documents sealed first, but that’s it. If you’re eligible to apply for a passport renewal by mail, you don’t even have to do that.
Need an emergency passport? Apply the easy way with RushMyPassport!