Renewing your passport or updating your name change is a fairly simple process compared to some of the other types of passport applications.  The passport name change process follows the passport renewal steps so you can use this guide for both. There are two ways of getting your passport renewed.  You can choose to do your passport renewal through traditional means by going to your local post office for 6-8 week service or you can use an expediting company which offers faster service options. If you would like to do it yourself, you must visit the US passport agency website or visit your local post office. If you would like to use an expediter such as, you can begin the process online.

Expedited Passport Renewal Step-By-Step Guide

  1. Complete a DS-82 application online.  Passport renewal applications and requirements can be found here.
  2. You will need a valid or recently expired passport (less than 5 years expired).  Don’t worry, this will be mailed back to you with your new passport.
  3. You will need a new passport photo.  Passport photo requirements can be found here.
  4. Travel evidence or proof of departure will be required.  If you have not purchased your ticket yet, a letter on company letterhead is acceptable as long as it meets the US passport agency’s requirements.
  5. A check made payable to the U.S. Department of State for $170 is required.  They are very strict as to how it needs to be made out, easy to understand instructions can be found here.
  6. An authorization letter will be needed.  You will need to contact the expediting company for this letter.  It’s a very simple 1 page letter that authorizes the company to act on your behalf.

The price for expediting your passport is an additional fee which you will pay directly to the expediting company.  The fee will vary according to company and service speed. If you have any questions, offers free live chat as well as phone and email support.

In a hurry? Let us help you expedite your passport renewal!