Passport renewal or new passport? How do you know if you should renew your old passport or simply apply for a new one? Can you renew your passport even if it has expired? Here’s how to know for sure:
If you meet all of the qualifications listed below, you can renew your passport instead of having to apply for a new one:
- You were 16 or older when you applied for your most recent passport.
- You still have your most recent US passport, and it is undamaged and in good condition.
- Your passport is no more than 15 years old.
- If you’ve changed your name since your last passport was issued, you have legal documentation to support the name change.
Passport renewals can be done through the mail or in person. Applicants can visit their local post office for the application or fill it out online: Passport Renewal Form DS-82. Be sure to include a recent passport photo along with a check for government fees, and include your recent passport.
- If your passport has been lost or damaged, you must apply in person for a new passport.
- If you were under the age of 16 when you got your current passport, you need to apply for a new one.
- If your passport is more than 15 years old, you’ll need a new one.
- If you’ve changed your name and don’t have the applicable paperwork, you’ll also need to apply for a new passport.
What’s the difference between applying for a passport renewal instead of a new passport? When applying for a new passport, you have to go in-person to a passport acceptance facility and fill out form DS-11, Application for a New Passport. Since you have to apply in person, you’ll pay a $35.00 execution fee in addition to the fees listed above. Plus, you’ll need to bring proof of identity and proof of citizenship.
After you’ve submitted your application, all you have to do is have patience and wait for your passport to arrive in the mail. It can take 8-11 weeks for regular government service, and under normal travel times, expedited service through the government takes around 7 weeks.
Make sure you get your passport on time!
If you need your passport right away and can’t risk a suspension or rejection that will increase your wait time, RushMyPassport can help. Our smart form automation, passport checklists, and passport advisors will help make sure you don’t make the common mistakes that will delay your passport. Get your passport as quickly as possible with RushMyPassport.