*The passport fees have recently changed. As of April 2nd, 2018, the passport acceptance fee has gone up from $25 to $35.
What do you do if you live in Chicago and you need to get your passport renewed? No matter where you live, the first step is to figure out whether you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, or whether you will have to apply again in person. You can renew by mail if you meet all of the following qualifications:
- You were at least 16 years old when your last passport was issued.
- Your passport is less than 15 years old.
- Your passport hasn’t been lost, damaged 0r stolen.
- If your name has changed, you have the legal documents to prove it.
If you qualify t0 renew your passport by mail, simply fill out passport renewal form DS-82 and send it in along with:
- Two passport photos
- A check or money order for the fees: $110 for a passport book, $140 for a passport book and a passport card, or $30 for just the card. Please note that the passport card may not be used for air travel.
- Legal documentation of any name changes
Then, the waiting begins….you can expect to wait at least 6 weeks if you apply with normal processing. To expedite your passport renewal using the government’s expediting service, you’ll have to pay an additional $60.00 and write “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope. This will cut the waiting time roughly in half, so you’ll still be waiting at least 2 to 3 weeks.
If you need a passport immediately, you can try to make an appointment at the Chicago Regional Passport Agency, located on Dearborn Street. The Agency will only see you if you can prove you are leaving in the next 14 days. Additionally, you have to make an appointment first. Also, the Passport Agency is only open from 9:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday, so you may need to request time off work if you work during normal office hours.
An easier way to get your passport renewal more quickly is to use an expediting company like RushMyPassport.com. With an expediting company, you don’t need an appointment and you don’t need to wait in line-they handle all of that for you.
Apply for your passport renewal today!