Blog Entries on WHTI

New Passport Rules Don’t Slow Border Traffic

Today, Border Patrol officials began asking Americans for passports at the American and Canadian borders.  The final phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is in effect, and a passport or another government-approved document is now required to re-enter the country.

How has this affected traffic across the borders? Not much, it seems. The Houston Chronicle is reporting that wait times at both the northern border with Canada and the southern border with Mexico are normal today, and that the new rules haven’t caused an increase in travel time for most American citizens.

Read Article

How to Rush Your Passport For a Trip To Mexico or the Caribbean

Monday, June 1st, regulations regarding travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean will change.  Under the old rules, passports were only required for air travel to and from these countries. However, the new rules require adult citizens of the US to present an approved document, such as a passport, to return to the United States from these countries.

Read Article

New Passport Office Inaugurated In Detroit

American citizens in Michigan now have a passport office nearby.  On Monday, Ambassador Janice L. Jacobs, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs, inaugurated a Regional Passport Agency office downtown at 211 West Fort Street.

Read Article

Expedited Passport and a Cruise for Mother’s Day

Still trying to come up with ideas for Mother’s Day? Cruises have become surprisingly affordable-why not pitch in with your siblings and get her a cruise? For example, the Travel Deals blog has a link to some great deals on Caribbean cruises, starting as low as $179!

Read Article

One Month Until New Passport Regulations Go Into Effect

Today is May 1st, which means that in exactly one month, new passport regulations will go into effect as part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. We’ve written about the WHTI pretty extensively, but since it’s about to become reality, here’s  a quick review of the upcoming changes:

  • Passports are already required for air travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. 
Read Article

Michigan to Offer Enhanced Driver’s License for Trips to Canada

Michigan has decided to offer an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL), which its citizens can use instead of a passport for quick trips into Canada. Like the newer passports, the enhanced driver’s license has a radio frequency identification chip to provide stronger identification, so it is WHTI-compliant for land and sea trips to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean.

Read Article