Divorce is almost always a stressful and time-consuming process. It’s all too easy to overlook little things that don’t seem important now, like changing your name on your passport. However, if you are changing your name as a result of a divorce, it’s best to apply for passport services immediately so that you have an updated passport when you need it. If you’ve had your passport longer than one year, you will need to renew your passport to update your name change.
Since May 15, the TSA has required that the name on your airline ticket must match the name on your passport (or whatever other form of ID you use for traveling.) You can view the details of the new requirements here, on the TSA blog. So, it’s important to make sure that your passport has the right name on it.
How to Change Your Name on a Passport
The procedure for changing the name on your passport after a divorce varies depending on how long you’ve had your passport. Here’s how to do it if your current passport is less than a year old:
- Fill out Form DS-5504
- Send it in with the court order documenting your name change and your current passport.
- If you’ve had your passport for more than 3 months, you also need to send in new passport photos.
- Unless you need expedited passport services, a name change on a passport less than a year old is free. To expedite your name change, enclose a check or money order for $60.00.
- You can learn how to expedite your name change here.
If your passport is more than a year old, the procedure is somewhat different. You will need to apply for a passport renewal in order to update your passport name change:
- Fill out passport renewal application Form DS-82.
- Mail it in with your current passport and a court order documenting your name change.
- Send a check or money order for the application fee.
- Enclose 2 new passport photos.
When you apply for passport services of any sort, it’s important to allow enough time for processing. Regular passport processing takes at least 6 weeks, while the government’s expedited passport services take at least 3 weeks.
Faster passport services are available through private passport expediting companies. With an expediting company, you can get a passport name change processed in as little as 24 hours. Plus, you’ll have a trained passport professional to walk you through the entire process.
Easy name change with passport services by RushMyPassport!