WSJ link


Rush My US Passport in 3 Easy Steps!

Top Posts

Recent Posts

Read Archives

Passport Renewal For Children


If your child’s passport is expired, you should be aware that the procedures for passport renewal are different for children than they are for adults.

Children who need passport renewal services must apply for a new child passport which requires a visit to a local passport acceptance agency or post office.  If your child is under 16, here’s what you’ll need:


  • Passport Application Form DS-11.
  • Proof of citizenship for the child.
  • Birth certificate with both parents’ names, a Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names, adoption decree with both parents’ names, or a court order establishing custody or guardianship.
  • Proof of identity for both parents.
  • Both parents must provide consent for the child’s passport. If both parents cannot be present, you’ll need one of the following documents: A notarized statement of consent from the absent parent, or evidence that the parent who brought the child in has sole custody (see Passport Services for Children for a list of what the US Passport Agency will accept).
  • Passport photos, the $80.00 application fee, the $25.00 execution fee and a $60.00 expedite fee if you need expedited service.

If Your Child is 16-17

  • He or she still needs to fill out Passport Application Form DS-11.
  • Proof of citizenship for the child.
  • If the child does not have his or her own proof of identity, the parent’s Proof of identity can be used instead.
  • Only one parent has to accompany the child.
  • Passport photos, the application fee of $110.00, the execution fee of $25.00 and an additional $60.00 fee if expedited service is required.

If you need to get your child’s passport renewed quickly, a private passport expediting company offers a convenient option for faster service. By Fedexing your child’s documents to an expediting company after being verified at the post office, his or her passport application can be processed in as little as 24 hours.  Renew your child’s passport with today!

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Passport Renewal For Children”

  1. Steve

    So does a child have to appear in person for a renewal or not if utilizing your expediting service?

  2. Alison Kroulek

    Yes, you’ll need to appear in person with the child at a passport acceptance office, like a post office. They’ll “seal” the child’s application documents and then we will hand-carry them to the Department of State for faster processing, so you won’t have to wait weeks like you normally would if you applied at the post office and you won’t need to travel to a Regional Passport Agency either.

    Hope this clarifies things.

  3. Kathryn

    Does a copy of our son’s original birth certificate meet the requirement for proof of relationship to our child?

  4. Alison Kroulek

    It sure does, as long as it as both of your names on it. Bring the relevant marriage certificate/divorce decree/court order if your name has changed since then. Good luck!

  5. Asif

    Once they have sealed the application how do you get it?
    do I have to courier it ?

  6. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Asif,

    You’ll send it via FedEx using the label and instructions we provide. Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply