This is our third post in our series Trusted Traveler Programs. In our last post we covered the Global Entry Program. In this post we are going to take a closer look at NEXUS, a program designed to expedite the border clearance process for travelers into Canada and the United States. The NEXUS card is approved as an alternative to the passport for air, land, and sea travel into the United States for US and Canadian citizens. Once approved into the NEXUS program, you are issued a photo-identification, RFID card.
Benefits of NEXUS:
- Receive expedited passage at:
- NEXUS-dedicated lanes
- Airport kiosks
- By calling a marine telephone reporting center to report your arrival into the United States and Canada.
- Cross the border with a minimum of customs and immigration questioning
How to apply?
- Apply on-line at the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES)
- Qualified applicants are required to travel to a NEXUS Enrollment Center for an interview.
- If approved for the program, a photo identification card will be mailed in 7-10 business days.
Cost: US $50 or CN $50 application-processing fee.
All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry (link to Blog Post #2) at no additional cost by using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. You will need to check your status in your GOES account, as you may need to submit fingerprints or other necessary documentation beforehand.
If you are currently a Global Entry member and want to add NEXUS to your membership, here are the steps you will need to complete:
- Login to GOES.
- On home page under Program Membership(s), click “Manage Membership”
- Click on the “Add Trusted Traveler Program” and select the NEXUS option.
- Provide additional information and answer questions. (Some of these questions are very similar).
- Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee.
- Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency.
The NEXUS Card is valid for five years from the applicant’s birthday following card issuance. Renewal typically takes place six months prior to expiration and members may be required to attend another interview to verify that they still qualify for the program. Renewals can be done online.