Passports are required for all air travel to and from Mexico. For travel by land or sea, adults should have a passport, passport card, enhanced driver’s license, or a trusted traveler card like NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI. Children under the age of 16 may travel with only a birth certificate, as may children under the age of 19 who are traveling with an organized group like a school, church, or sports group. However, keep in mind that Mexican regulations typically require US citizens to have a passport if they travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of the country.

Instead of a passport, passengers on closed-loop cruises, which begin and end in the US,  may cruise with a state-issued photo ID and birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

Please Note:  U.S. visitors can arrive by plane to Mexico without a testing or quarantine requirement. However, effective January 26,2021, all airline passengers coming back to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.

Do I need a passport for Mexico?

Whether or not you need a passport to go to Mexico depends on two factors: how you’re getting there and when you’re planning to go. Passports are already required for travel to Mexico if you are traveling by plane.  However, land and sea travelers can cross the border with a passport book or a passport card.

Some border crossings may permit travel with a state-issued ID (like a driver’s license) and proof of American citizenship (like a birth certificate). However, this is not recommended as you will have a harder time crossing back into the USA without your valid passport. The only groups of people who are able to cross the border using birth certificates will be children under 16 traveling with family and children under 18 if they are on an organized trip with a school, church, or sports group. These exceptions only apply to children traveling by land or sea. Everyone flying to or from Mexico will still need a passport, regardless of age. As a safety precaution, it’s best that all travelers to Mexico have a passport in case they need to fly home unexpectedly.

If you’re planning a trip to Mexico, it’s important to apply for a passport at least 8 weeks and preferably several months in advance.

If you need a passport to Mexico in a hurry, you should consider using a private passport expediting service to submit your passport application. With an expediting company, your application will be processed more quickly, bypassing the normal wait times. With, you can have your passport processed quickly, safely, and securely!

Click here to view our passport processing options, and order your passport to Mexico the easy way!