As of October 2014, two post offices have opened “mega passport acceptance offices”. These California passport office locations are part of a pilot program that will eventually include seven passport application locations. Here’s the scoop on the new facilities:
Van Nuys Passport Application Location
Address: 15701 Sherman Way
Van Nuys, CA 91409
Phone Number: (818) 374-5650
- Tuesday through Friday : 11:00 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Santa Clarita Passport Application Location
Address: 28201 Franklin Parkway
Santa Clarita CA 91383
Phone Number: 661-775-7166
- Tuesday through Friday: 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
According to the LA Times, a third office is expected to open in Glendale later this month. Meanwhile, according to the Santa Clarita Valley Signal another is planned for Pasadena.
No appointment is needed to use these new passport application locations. The new facilities will accept your application and take your passport photo, and they offer photocopy services as needed to support the application process.
However, it’s important to note that these “mega” offices are replacing the passport application services offered at multiple other, smaller post offices. For example, the Santa Clarita Valley Signal says “The Castaic location will replace four separate passport processing offices inside area post offices, including those in Lancaster, Palmdale and Santa Clarita.” So, your local post office may not offer passport services any longer.
Also, the fastest processing time that can be guaranteed by these new mega passport acceptance centers is still two to three weeks, which is the Department of State’s standard for “expedited” service.
If you need your passport more quickly, you have two options:
- Submit your application at the Los Angeles Passport Agency. Appointments are required, and the agency is only open weekdays from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm. However, they offer will call processing if you have travel plans within the next five business days.
- Use one of the mega passport application centers or another passport acceptance facility. Have your documents sealed, and use a passport expediting company like RushMyPassport to get them processed more quickly. RushMyPassport hand carries your application to the Department of State, for processing in as little as one business day!
Photo Credit: License Some rights reserved by bryansblog