In an effort to demonstrate commitment to better serve all U.S. citizens, the U.S. Department of State has announced the addition of an unspecified gender marker (X) when applying for a U.S. passport book. In this post, we’ll go over how to update the gender on your U.S. passport. 

Beginning in late 2023, you will be able to select X as a marker if you are seeking a passport card or selecting expedited service. The U.S. Department of State anticipates completing additional technological updates so that the X gender marker will be available on the following documents:

  • Passport Cards
  • Emergency passports printed at embassies and consulates 
  • Expedited and emergency passports issued at passport agencies and centers, and
  • Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs)

How to Update the Gender Marker on Your Passport

If you already have a valid passport, then you can apply for a passport renewal in order to update your gender. You can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified gender identity (X) as your gender marker when applying for a U.S. passport book. 

The process for a passport renewal is very easy. You only need your current (valid) passport book and a new passport photo. Once you have your passport book and new passport photo,  you will then need to fill out the DS-82 Passport Application as well as a check or money order for the government fee. Fortunately, RushMyPassport has made it easy to get a passport renewal to update the gender on your passport. You can start the process online here or complete the process at your closest FedEx Office location. Please note that until later in 2023, only routine service is available for a gender update on your passport.

The U.S. Department of State is in the process of updating the Form Filler and Form Eligibility Wizard tools to incorporate the X gender marker. Please download the PDF version of your passport form and complete it by hand in black ink if you are requesting a passport with an X gender marker.

What Medical Documentation Is Needed To Update Your Gender On Your Passport?

If you want to change your name or gender, you do not need to provide any documentation (medical or other) to do so, even if the gender you select on the application does not match the gender on your previous passport or other documents.

What Does It Mean To “Self-Certify” Your Gender?

“Self-Certifying” or “Self-Selecting” simply means you may select the gender you would like printed on your U.S. passport. Starting April 11, 2022 you can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified or another gender identity (X). 

Does The Gender On Your Birth Certificate or Driver’s License Need To Be Updated Prior To Updating/Renewing My Passport?

Your photo ID and citizenship evidence do not need to match the gender on your passport application. Your passport photo MUST match your photo ID though. It is highly recommended that you make sure your ID photo is a recent representation of your physical appearance so it matches the passport photo submission.


Other Countries That Recognize Non-Binary Gender Markers

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Colombia
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Malta
  • Nepal
  • The Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Pakistan

Passport Processing Times

Standard passport processing times are 8-11 weeks or longer. If you need a passport and you’re traveling soon, can help. We make getting a passport quick and easy by providing you with a helpful checklist and personal assistance with the application. Then, we deliver your paperwork to the Department of State for super-fast processing, as quickly as 1 business week.

Apply for your passport today!