Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes, so does the US Passport Agency. Whenever you get a new passport, you should look it over carefully, just to make sure all of the information is correct. If there is a printing error, you’ll need to get it corrected before you travel.

How do you fix a printing error on your US passport? Fortunately, you don’t have to go through the entire application process again. Instead, submit Form DS-5504. You’ll also need to send in your US passport, and evidence to show that the change you’ve requested is valid. For example, you can send in a copy of your birth certificate if you need to have the spelling of your name or your birthday corrected. If it’s been more than 90 days since your US passport was issued, you’ll also need to get new passport photos taken.

Fixing a printing error is free if you request regular processing. However, it could take several weeks for you to get your passport back in the mail. If you have an international trip planned in the near future, a private expediting service like RushmyPassport.com can have your passport sent to you more quickly. Depending on how long you have before you have to travel, an expediting company can get your passport in as little as 24 hours!  The price of the service varies depending on the processing time you select, and more affordable options are available that take just a few days more. Considering how much money you’ll lose on your international trip if you don’t have a passport in time, the expediting fee is a bargain!

Are you traveling overseas? Go to RushMYPassport.com to make sure your passport is ready when you are!