*Updated: 5/1/18. The passport fees have recently changed. As of April 2nd, 2018, the passport acceptance fee has gone up from $25 to $35.
Please see our updated blog on how much a passport costs for the most current information.
How much does it cost to get a passport? There’s no doubt that one of the biggest obstacles that keeps people waiting until the last possible minute to get one is the expense, especially since prices went up in 2010 and again with a minor increase in 2018.
The exact amount that you’ll pay depends on two factors: what type of passport application you’re submitting, and how quickly you need your passport. Here’s a breakdown:
New Passport Fees Explained
If you’ve never applied for a passport before, here’s what it will cost you:
- $145 total for a passport book ($110 application fee plus a $35 execution fee)
- $65 for a passport card ($30 application fee plus a $35 execution fee). Please note, passport cards are not valid for air travel or for travel outside of the Western Hemisphere. Please see Passports vs. Passport Cards for more information.
- $175 for a passport book and a passport card. ($140 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
- For more information about applying for a new passport, see How to Apply for a New Passport.
Passport Renewal Fees Explained
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you’ll benefit from not having to pay the execution fee, which goes to the passport office that accepts your application. Here’s the damage:
- $110 for a passport book.
- $30 for a passport card.
- $140 for both.
For more about applying for a passport renewal, see How to Apply for a Passport Renewal
Lost and Stolen Passport Fees Explained
If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must apply to replace it in person and the pricing scale is the same as if you were applying for a new passport. See How to Replace a Lost Passport for details on how to apply.
Child Passport Fees Explained
If you’re applying for a passport for a child under the age of 16, you get a little bit of a price break. Here’s what you’ll pay:
- $115 for a passport book ($80 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
- $50 for a passport card ($15 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
- $120 for both ($95 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
There are special requirements when you apply for a passport for a minor. See How to Get a Child Passport for details.
The option to add pages to your passport has been phased out by the U.S. Department of State. If you run out of passport pages now, you must apply for a passport renewal.
Passport Expediting Fees Explained
Normally, it takes about six weeks for your passport application to be approved. However, if you pay a $60 expediting fee, you can cut that down to about three weeks. You’ll pay the $60 fee on each application you submit, and the State Department also recommends you pay for overnight shipping to the passport office (price determined by carrier) and overnight shipping from the passport office.
If you need your passport more quickly than that, you have two options: make an appointment at the nearest Regional Passport office, or use a private expediting company like RushMyPassport. We hand-deliver your documents right to the Department of State, for Processing in as little as 24 hours.
Need help getting your passport on time? Contact us today!