Unlike other photos you have taken, your passport photo won’t be about finding your good side or taking the shot from the most flattering angle. Your passport will have to adhere to a very strict set of government regulations to make sure that it will be approved by the State Department.
Some of the most important rules for passport photos include:
- Full color only
- Final size 2” x 2” with head measuring between 1” and 1 3/8” from bottom of chin to top of head
- Use a recent photo taken within the last 6 months
- Use a white background
- Take facing directly ahead at the camera for full-face view
- Eyes open / neutral expression
- You may wear glasses if you normally wear them – but no dark or tinted lenses & no glare from glasses in photo
- No hats or head coverings
- No shadows on your face
- No uniforms
- As of November 1st, 2016, you are no longer allowed to wear glasses in your passport photo.