Whether you’ve changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or “just because,” the paperwork involved can be a huge hassle. If you’re planning on traveling overseas, you’ll need to get a new passport with your new name to avoid getting stuck at the border.

How do you request a US passport renewal and name change? If you have the appropriate legal documents, you can simply place them in the mail with your US passport renewal application. Here are the details:

  • If your passport was issued less than a year ago, you can submit Form DS-5504. There’s no fee for using this form unless you need it expedited. However, if your passport was issued more than 90 days ago, you do need to include new photos.
  • If your passport was issued more than a year ago, you can submit the US passport renewal application, form DS-82. You will be charged the normal US passport renewal fees.

What name change documents should you submit with your US passport renewal application? Here’s a list:

  • A Marriage Certificate
  • A Divorce Decree
  • A Court Order referencing the name change

What if you don’t have any of these documents? Instead of filling out a US passport renewal application and mailing it in, you’ll have to fill out form DS-11, an application for a brand new passport, in person. You’ll need to bring proof of citizenship and proof of identity when you apply. Remember to allow the appropriate amount of time for processing: 3 weeks or more for normal service, and 2 weeks for the governments expedited service. If you need your name change done more quickly, a private passport expediting company like RushMyPassport.com can help!