Updated 9/5/2019

Do you need a passport for domestic flights? The answer to that question has always been “no,” but thanks to the Real ID Act, that’s about to change.

Moving forward, your driver’s license may not cut it at the airport. Read on to find out why and what you need to do.

What is the Real ID Act?

In 2005, Congress passed the Real ID Act. In response to the 9/11 attacks, the Real ID Act created new security standards for state’s driver’s licenses and IDs. If you live in a Real ID-compliant state, you probably noticed that you have had to bring additional documents with you the last time you renewed your driver’s license.

But not all states are compliant. In fact, roughly half of states have been playing a game of chicken with the federal government over the law. At the original 2010 deadline, at least 26 states were out of compliance; so, the TSA issued an extension. When that extension ran out in 2013, they extended it again for states without compliant IDs.

Currently, most states (including Washington, DC) issue Real ID-compliant licenses. But that still leaves 15 non-compliant states and 4 US territories.  Now, there’s a new deadline looming, and time is running out. However, as reported in December 2018, California has not been meeting the federal requirements for issuing Real ID-compliant IDs. California has already issued cards to 2.3 million individuals so far. The DMV did not immediately disclose that notification to the public but has said Californians who received an ID this year do not have to have their cards reissued. New applicants will need to show two forms of residency verification in order to receive a Real ID card.

UPDATE: Extensions have been issued for all non-compliant states.

Most of the Real ID extensions for non-compliant states expired in October 2017. As a result, all the affected states have applied for more time. All of the other noncompliant states and territories are under review, and have been given a short grace period. After that, if your state isn’t compliant, you’d better have an alternate form of ID on hand if you want to board your plane. The TSA will not allow you past the security checkpoint without one!

Of course, there is the possibility that the federal government will issue another round of extensions, just in the nick of time.

But the DHS website strongly implies that’s not going to happen.

DHS is committed to enforcing the REAL ID Act in accordance with the phased enforcement schedule and regulatory timeframes and is not inclined to grant additional extensions to any states that are not both committed to achieving full compliance and making substantial and documented progress in satisfying any unmet requirements.

It sounds like they’re through playing games, doesn’t it?

REAL ID: Is Your State Compliant?

As of September 2019, the following states are currently compliant with the REAL ID Act:


Check this map from the Department of Homeland Security to see the latest updates to the list of states currently compliant with the Real ID Act.

Will You Need a Passport for Domestic Flights?

If you live in a non-compliant state, that’s a real possibility. Our advice: just skip the drama. Get a passport, and you’ll be covered no matter where you plan to travel!

Other Approved Forms of ID

Don’t want to get a passport? You do have other options. For example, Minnesota’s regular license is not compliant. But the enhanced driver’s license, (which has a RFID chip like a passport) is compliant. Plus, with an enhanced driver’s license, you can drive (but not fly) across the border to Mexico or Canada.

Not all states issue enhanced driver’s licenses. Besides a passport, other acceptable documents include:

  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • US military ID
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • Tribal photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential

As you can see, using a passport or a passport card for domestic flights is the most practical option for most people.

Pro TipRemember, you can only use a passport card for domestic flights. If your destination is outside of the US, you’ll need a passport book.

For more on the differences, see Passports vs Passport Cards.

Getting a Passport

What do you need to get a passport? It depends. Are you applying for a new one? Renewing an old one? Applying for a child passport? See how much each one costs and the steps to get one.

Plan ahead. If you don’t have a compliant ID and you have a trip planned, apply for a passport well ahead of time. Getting your passport can take 4 to 6 weeks for regular processing and 3 weeks for expedited processing from the post office.

If you need a passport more quickly, you can make an appointment at the nearest regional passport agency, or RushMyPassport can submit your application for you for an additional fee. In both cases, your application can be processed in as little as one business day. Expediting companies like RushMyPassport help you with the application, help catch and correct mistakes and provide super-fast processing with no need to travel to an agency or wait in line.

Need a passport fast? Click here to start our easy order process!