WSJ link


Rush My US Passport in 3 Easy Steps!

Top Posts

Recent Posts

Read Archives

Can You Travel With an Expired Passport?

Reviewed by:
On April 10, 2009
Last modified:July 4, 2012


If you’re planning on traveling outside the US with an expired passport, you’re out of luck.  A valid US passport is required for international travel. The only exception to this rule is if you’re traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. In that case, you’ll be able to get by with your photo ID and a birth certificate until June 1st.  After that, the rules change, and you’ll need a valid passport. For more information, see “Do I Need a Passport to Go to Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean?”

If you’re traveling outside the country and you are going anywhere other than Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, you need to have a passport and it needs to be valid. In fact, many countries require you to have at least 6 months left before the expiration date on your passport.

If you try to travel with an expired passport, you probably won’t be allowed on the plane.  Even if the airline doesn’t catch that your passport is expired, you’ll certainly run into problems when you try to get your passport stamped after you land.

So, don’t risk turning your vacation into a bureaucratic nightmare. Check the expiration date on your passport before you book your trip! Ordinarily, it takes at least a couple of months to get your passport renewed in the mail. However, if you have a trip coming up in the near future and you notice that your passport is expired, don’t panic. You can get an emergency passport!

The easiest way to get an emergency passport is to use a private passport expediting company. You don’t have to make an appointment or wait in line. All you have to do is fill out the paperwork for your passport renewal, send it to the expediting company along with all the necessary supporting documents, and the expediting company will hand-deliver it to the US Department of State for faster processing. Your new passport can be on its way back to you in as little as 24 hours!

Don’t risk trying to travel on an expired passport. Renew your passport with us today!

Tags: , ,

152 Responses to “Can You Travel With an Expired Passport?”

  1. Nancy Contessa

    Can i travel to Florida with an expired passport?

  2. Nancy Contessa

    Can i travel from Florida to New York with an expired passport?

  3. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Nancy,

    If you’re traveling in the United States, your driver’s license or other state-issued ID will be fine, and you don’t need a valid passport.

  4. Chris Bush

    Can i travel to Hawaii from LAX with a expired passport and
    birth certificate i dont have any form of id i called the airline
    they said its fine but but just double checking

  5. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Chris,

    Hawaii is part of the US-since you’re not traveling internationally, you don’t need a passport. However, you still need to show the airline some form of ID to claim your ticket. It doesn’t have to be a passport-it can be your driver’s license or a state ID card. If your airline has verified that they will accept what you have, you should be fine.

  6. heather

    My husband lost his drivers license and is flying tomorrow morning to another state. Could he use jis expired passport to fly?

  7. Alison Kroulek



    Your blog is so informative ?keep up the good work!!!!

  9. Pete Pelayo

    What is going to happen at LAX when my mother arrives from Mexico City with a passport that has been expired since June 09? This was an oversight – no legal issues, just a mistake. She has been in Mexico for 6 days only. She is a naturalized citizen. California resident for 55 years.
    Please advise.

  10. Max E. Padd

    So… What is the answer Pete? What happened? Does anyone know? If my wife crosses over by auto into Mexico for a medical proceedure and she has an expired passport, what will be her issues, if any, coming back? Anyone know? It’s a little vague. No flight involved. drives across from California. She has Arizona drivers license.

  11. meir leib

    can you still travel within the US with only an expired passport and no driver’s license or things have changed due to the current situation

  12. Soo

    Can you get back into the US, land travel, from Canada on a expired US passport, birth certificate, and Driver’s License?

  13. admin

    Well, they can’t really keep you out of the country if you are a US citizen. However, if you don’t renew your passport you should expect delays trying to cross back in to the US because what you are describing does not meet the legal requirements to re-enter the US from Canada. So, you may be detained for a period of time while they verify that your documents are authentic and you are really a US citizen. I would recommend renewing your passport or at least getting a passport card.

  14. Shame

    Hi, my wife is a registered alien with an expired passport. Just received notice that her Mom died back home in Philippines. What’s the quickest possible way to get her on a flight there?

  15. admin

    Hi Shame,

    I’m sorry to hear about your loss! We only expedite US passports, so I would recommend contacting the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate. There’s a list here:
    Good luck!

  16. Gail

    Both of my children were born in Rota, Spain while I was in the military. I did not renew their passports which expired over five years ago. I do not have their original birth certificates because they were lost during our move. I was not married so neither of their fathers names appears on the original birth of certificate abroad. Can I get an expedited passport using their old passports?

  17. admin

    Hi Gail,

    According to the US Department of State, you should be able to use your children’s old passports as proof of citizenship as long as they are undamaged and in good condition. However, if your kids are still under 16, you will need either permission from their fathers OR proof that you have sole custody. See this page for acceptable documents:

  18. Krystal

    I am a Spanish Citizen, and am currently living in the US. I want to travel back to Spain. can I visit Spain with an expired passport if I get it renewed while I am in Spain?

  19. admin

    You should probably get your passport renewed at a Spanish embassy here before you leave, Krystal. There’s a good chance your airline won’t let you board the flight to Spain without one.

  20. rashy


    I lost my passport and found it again. i am flying tomorrow. can i take the paspport I found to the airport? i cant rebook my flight.

  21. admin

    Hi Rashy,

    It depends. If you’ve reported it lost to the Department of State already, then no, you can’t use it. Once you report it to the Department of State, they cancel it and won’t let you travel on it.

  22. Linh

    June 23, 2010.

    My son who is 13. his passport just expired June 19th 2010. I am from Florida and we are planning to go to canada. I have his birth certificate. Will they give my problem to travel

  23. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Linh,

    It depends on how you’re traveling. If you’re driving across the border, you should be fine with his birth certificate. If you are flying to Canada, you’ve got to get a passport ASAP or they won’t let him on the plane.

  24. Alison Kroulek

    I would call the US Embassy-They should be able to advise you and help you renew your passport.

  25. ash k

    My son who is 10. His passport expired last year. I am in Michigan and we are travraveling by car to Falls, Canada… and i cant find his birth certificate either. Will it cause any problem at the border???

  26. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Ash,

    Yes, possibly. He needs either a valid passport or a copy of his birth certificate. If you still live close to where he was born, contact your local Department of Vital Records (Contact information here: ), otherwise you can order a copy from Vitalcheck:

  27. ashlyn

    Hi, I’m going to get a driver’s license tomorrow in TX, but my passport expired just yesterday, do you think they will accept it?

  28. admin

    Hi Ashlyn,

    Good question…the best thing to do would be to call the local DMV and ask.

    Good luck!

  29. Star

    Hello, my passport expired in August of this year and I will be flying to Miami from NYC in October using my ID. The thing is, my friends are taking a day cruise to the Bahamas and Im wondering if I will be able to take the trip using my ID as well. Please help

  30. admin

    As long as the cruise begins and ends in Miami, you should be fine- but bring a valid driver’s license and a certified copy of your birth certificate.

  31. myisha

    i leave monday for las vegas my license was stolen, i have a passport but its expired can i still travel

  32. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Myisha,

    You should be okay since its a domestic flight, but PLEASE call the airline first to verify.

  33. Aisha

    Hello My passport expired on october 2010 and i was planning to travel to Sonora Mexico by car (land). Will I be able to travel with my expired passport and come back (texas)or will i need to apply for a new one? The thing is that I think i would nos be able to get it on time since it take 4 to 6 week to get it. Do i have any options? thank you

  34. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Aisha,

    No, you’ll need to renew your passport. To get into Mexico and back by land, you need a passport, passport card, or an enhanced driver’s license, which Texas does not offer. Expedited service from the Department of State costs $60 and takes 2-3 weeks. If you’re leaving in the next 14 days, you can apply at a Regional Passport Agency office (the only ones on Texas are in Dallas or Houston) or we can help. Give us a call @ 1-866-682-1505 if you have any additional questions.

  35. Vashass

    My son is 6 and his US passport expired in Aug. 2010.
    Now we’re leaving for cruise from Miami to Mexico
    and back to Miami.
    The cruise departs on Dec. 20 while the earliest date
    to apply at Regional Office is Dec. 20!!
    Is it still ok to travel?
    Will he be detained at port of entry or will his
    birth-certificate suffice?

  36. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Vahass,

    You’re on a cruise, so he should be fine with just his birth certificate. Enjoy your trip!

  37. Irineu

    We are in Brazil and my son’s lasanhas expires. Can he flu into the US with an expired passport and his birth certificate?


  38. Ace

    Hi..Im in the Dominican Republic and my passport expired, can I still leave the Dominican Rep. to go back to the US with an expired US passport??


  39. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Ace,

    No, you won’t be allowed on the plane. Stop by the nearest US embassy and they can renew it for you.

  40. Alison Kroulek

    No, he should get a new passport at the nearest US Embassy before attempting to fly home.

  41. marien

    Hi I’m not a us citizen but j do have a green card my passport is expire will I be able to travel from Texas to Florida with out it or with it expired

  42. Barb Cuttance

    I’m a New Zealand citizen with a passport that expires July 4 2011, I am in the process of applying for a new passport, am currently in Costa Rica and wish to visit the US for approx 3 weeks on Feb 21 before leaving again around March 16 to travel to South America. Will I be able to enter the Us with a passport that has less than 6 months on if for the three week duration. I plan to have my new passport delivered to an address in the US.
    I would very much appreciate clarification.

  43. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Barb,

    From everything I was able to find online, you should be okay…but just to be safe, I’d call the US Embassy in San Jose. Find their contact info here:

  44. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Marien,

    As long as your staying within the US, you should be fine with just your green card.

  45. Alfred

    Hi there,
    I have an 2 passports, 1 expired and 1 valid. My US visa is still
    valid on my expired passport. Will I be able to get in US with both
    passports instead of renewing it?


  46. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Alfred,

    Contact the US Embassy and ask.

    Thanks, and good luck!

  47. katie lovell

    I do not have a drivers License. I do though have an expired passport can I get by on that flying from northern california to southern california?

  48. Julie

    Hi Alison,
    My 14 year old son will be traveling with adult friends to Mexico. His passport expires a month AFTER he returns to the US. Will there be a problem with Mexico that I should rush service of a new passport? He’s leaving in 2 weeks. I know I need to send along with him a notarized letter saying it’s okay for him to be traveling with them.

  49. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Julie,

    Nope, he should be fine. Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after you enter, but Mexico isn’t one of them.

  50. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Katie,

    In theory, a passport is proof of identity even after it’s expired. But get to the airport extra early, as you may face additional screening from the TSA:

  51. florence

    how long can my USA passport be valid

  52. Huna

    My younger brother is planning to fly to Hawaii from California. He has no recent photo identification. His passport is expired, and that is the only form of identification he has. It has been expired for six years and he doesn’t look the same as his photo id. Is there any other form of identification I can use. He is only 13. Can I bring in a birth certificate with his recent yearbook picture.

  53. Ryan

    This is a very informative blog, keep up the great work;
    good information is hard to find.

    My girlfriend is Russian and is going back to Russia in a few days.
    She has a domestic flight before her international flight. She just
    realized that her passport expired last month. She doesn’t have any US
    issued ID, but she has a credit card, Russian birth certificate, and
    Russian passport that is still valid.

    Will she be able to fly? She’s just trying to make it home, she won’t
    be coming back to the States.

  54. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Ryan,

    As long as she has a valid passport she should be fine!

  55. Alison Kroulek

    In most cases, it’s valid for 10 years if it was issued after you turned 16. Passports issued to minors, however, are only valid for 5.

  56. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Huna,

    It’s a domestic flight and he’s under 18, so he should be fine. Photo ID is only required if you’re 18 and older. Just have him bring his birth certificate.

  57. Harrison

    My situation is a bit complicated. I’m currently in Schengen
    and my passport was stolen, so I got an emergency replacement one.
    If it expires while I’m still over here, will I still be able to get back
    into the states? I think I remember them saying that because it’s
    an emergency replacement I can only get it renewed in the states.

  58. Harrison

    Also very important, if so, do i have to book a direct flight or is a stopover ok?

  59. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Harrison,

    You’ll need to contact the nearest US Embassy and ask for their help. You’re exceedingly unlikely to be able to get on a plane to the US without a valid passport or a special travel document. The US Embassy should be able to get you taken care of.

    Good luck!

  60. fabian

    we need to travel from LA to NY in june and i just realized passport of my 13 years old son is expired. can he stil travel with it? can he use a school ID?

    thanks for your help

  61. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Fabian,

    Since the flight is domestic, a passport is not required. Per the TSA, kids under 18 don’t need ID to fly:

    You should be good to go!

  62. simon


    i organize a school trip from san diego to chicago in two weeks and one of my student have a expired passport. Does he need a new passport?do i need a paper from the parents?


  63. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Simon,

    You’re traveling domestically, so he shouldn’t need a passport to board the plane. Hope this helps!

  64. Chris Dominguez

    Im traveling by bus from new jersey to North carolina i dont really have a type of Id except my passport but it expire already on november 5 2010 can i use it as a form of id to board the bus or will i have to renew it?

  65. question man

    hi hi i had a question. so my plane ticket is booked in a week and my girlfriend was planning to travel with me from san diego to hawaii. shes 18 but her only form of ID is her highschool junior ID 2010-2011. can we still get her tickets? could she show her debit card and possibly a paycheck to show that she is who she really is.

  66. Alison Kroulek

    You shouldn’t need a valid passport to travel within the US, but I would call the bus company and make sure they’ll accept it as ID.

  67. Alison Kroulek


    She should still be able to fly but get to the airport early. She will have to go through secondary screening possibly including interviews, a more-thorough-than-usual search, etc. See the TSA website for details:

  68. deliz

    im 16 yrs old ,and i live in santo domingo and my passport is expired
    and i need to travel to florida in 2 weeks!!!
    could i renew my passport in florida? instead of here
    because the appointment are to long…..

  69. Oscar

    Can I return to The US with my US passport expiered or does really mean my Citizenship also has expiered and I can not come home.

  70. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Oscar,

    Your citizenship never expires! But you’ll need to get a new passport before you try to fly home- just go to the nearest US Embassy or consulate and they can help.

  71. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Deliz,

    The only problem is that they probably won’t let you on the plane without a valid passport. The US Embassy website for the Dominican Republic has instructions on how to get an emergency appointment here: Hope this helps!

  72. pash jany

    can i travel with expire passport and copy of naturalization from usa to canada. plus my 13yr old son have expire passport with copy of birth certificate can he travel with me.

  73. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Pash,

    I’d need a little bit more information about where you’re traveling to answer that, I’m afraid. You generally need to be able to present a valid form of identification; a certificate of naturalization will work in some circumstances but for others it won’t be enough and you’ll need an unexpired passport. Can you tell me a little bit more about your travel plans?

  74. Denis vargas

    hi, my girlfriend has an expired passport since june, she want to travel from Va to las vegas and doe not have a satate I’d. Can she still travel with her exprired passport?

  75. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Denis,

    It would be best if she got a state ID first. If she can’t, it might help to bring her expired passport as proof of identity, but she will still have to go through extra screening and an interview with the TSA. She needs to get to the airport EARLY. See here for more details:

  76. Alejandro name is Alejandro and I’m 16 years old
    i have a B1 visa but i would like to change it.My passport expired a few
    years ago. what can i do?

  77. Ryan


    I was looking to go to Canada for the weekend in two weeks for two nights but I just realized my passport just expired in June. Will I be able to use my expired passport to get there and back. Do you think they would accept it if I brought the expired passport along with a birth certificate and driver’s license? It’s too short of notice to get a new passport.


  78. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Ryan,

    Are you driving or flying? If you’re driving, you should be able to cross with your birth certificate and driver’s license, but may experience delays getting back into the US since you’re supposed to have a valid passport or passport card. If you’re flying, on the other hand, there’s no way -the airline probably won’t even let you board the plane. Sorry…wish I had better news for you!

  79. Ray

    Hi, I am an American citizen living in Mexico. My passport expired and I
    really need to go to the US soon, problem is renewal takes up to six weeks.
    does any one know if i need it to fly?
    I don’t want to drive thru Mexico due to the violence.

  80. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Ray,

    Yes, you need it to fly. They won’t let you on the plane without it. Good luck!

  81. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Alejandro,

    Sorry, we can’t help you with immigration-related requests. We are only able to help US citizens apply for a passport. Good luck!

  82. Mark

    I’d like to expedite a passport to ease my trip to Canada in a week.
    We’re going by car and do not have an itinerary beyond a hotel
    confirmation. Will that suffice to get expedited service?

  83. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Mark,

    Yes, that will work. :)

  84. chris

    i am currently in mexico on vacation with my friend and she has an expired passport.. will she be having problems coming back to u.s? we have no idea what to do at this poin

  85. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Chris,

    Whether or not she’ll be able to get back depends on whether she’s driving or flying. If she’s flying, she has to have a valid passport or they won’t let her on the plane. If she’s driving across, she may be detained while Customs verifies her citizenship, but they can’t actually keep her out of the country.

    Either way, why don’t you just take her to the nearest US Embassy? They can issue a renewal, and then she won’t have to worry about it at all.

  86. Junior Saico

    Hi, I have a U.S. Passport that expires January 8, 2012. My dad is in
    very poor health and wants me to visit him in the Philipines this
    weekend. He is in the philippines receiving medical care. Doctors told
    my mom he might only have a few weeks. I really need to go visit him but
    i heard that there is a regulation that states passport must be 6 months
    valid in order to fly internationally. Is there anyway I could get a
    waiver or accommodation so i can visit my dad before its too late.
    Please let me know as soon as possible. I appreciate your help.

    Thank you very much,
    Junior Saico

  87. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Junior,

    I’m so sorry to hear about your dad, and I completely understand how important it is to get there as soon as possible. That said, the Philippines is one of the countries that requires you to have six months left on your passport, unfortunately. I don’t know if waivers can be granted or not, but contact the Embassy of the Philippines to see if it’s possible:

    To get your passport renewed before you leave, you can also contact the nearest regional passport agency by calling 1-877-487-2778 for an appointment or call us to expedite: 1-877-503-9838.

  88. Katie Hew


    My friend and I are traveling to Miami for spring break. I am a US citizen but my friend is an international student from Saudi Arabia. He recently just got his Michigan’s drvers license cut and his passport for KSA is expired. What can we bring to show identification for him?

  89. Carmen

    Can I use my expired passport to board the plane if it is a domestic flight. i have no ids or anything? would i need birth certificate?

  90. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Carmen,

    From the TSA website: “Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

    Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.”

    Bring your expired passport, birth certificate and any other IDs you have, and allow extra time at the airport for the additional screening.

  91. nancyyy

    Hi. i had a quick question.. my fathers passport expired a couple months ago, and he needs to travel to mexico for a couple of days in a family emergency. His sister just passed away.& he is a U.S. citizen.. he is also traveling by land not flying..should he bring his CA id and passport..what kind of problems could he be facing at the border?

  92. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Nancyyy,

    First of all, let me say that I’m so sorry for your loss. Per the US Department of State, “Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. ”

    So, as long as he’s traveling by land and isn’t going beyond the “border zone,” he should be fine with his ID, passport, and I would also have him bring his birth certificate or naturalization certificate. He may be detained for a little while on his way back in to the country while US Customs verifies that he is a citizen, so he should allow extra time to get back home. If he will be driving beyond the “border zone,” I would contact the Mexican Embassy and see if they can help.

  93. Darya


    I have an expired Russian passport and a valid US green card. I applied for a new Russian passport while I was in Russia, but I had to come back to the US so the passport is waiting for me in Russia while I am in the states. I have two questions. First, I want to fly to Mexico for vacation, is there any way to do that without having to get a new Russian passport through the Russian Embassy in the US? (which by the way requires an in person interview) Second, will I be able to fly into Russia to get my newly issued Russian passport? I really appreciate your help.

  94. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Darya,

    This is from US Citizenship and Immigration Services: “In general, you will need to present a passport from your country of citizenship or your refugee travel document to travel to a foreign country. In addition, the foreign country may have additional entry/exit requirements (such as a visa). For information on foreign entry and exit requirements, see the Department of State’s webpage at”

    So, yes, I’m so sorry, but you will need to get a Russian passport here, at the Embassy, before you travel.

  95. Paul

    My daughter’s US passport has expired and we plan to use her UK one next week to travel to the US with us. I am assuming this will be OK so long as she goes through ESTA.

  96. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Paul, Actually all US citizens are required to enter and leave the US on their US passports. Talk to the nearest US Embassy-they may be able to issue an emergency passport for her. Good luck!

  97. Lisa Hogan

    My son has a suspended license and an expired passport. Can he use his expired passport for identification for a flight home from Florida to New York state in December?

  98. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Lisa,

    Yes, but…since it’s expired, he may be in for extra questioning and he should bring as many other documents verifying his identity as possible. From the TSA website:

    “Passengers who do not have a valid photo ID, such as State-issued driver’s license, should bring any ID or documents they have available to assist in verification of identity. Passengers need at least two alternate forms of identification, such as a social security card, birth certificate, marriage license, or credit card. The documents must bear the name of the passenger. Also, one of these documents must bear identification information containing one of the following: date of birth, gender, address, or photo. If TSA can confirm the passenger’s identity, they may enter the secured area, but they could be subject to additional screening.”

  99. Digna

    What type of documents do i need to re enter the US if i heve an expired passport?

  100. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Digna,

    Contact the nearest US Embassy and they should be able to help you renew it. Good luck!

  101. alen

    i live in the us and i came to germany with my travel document and now my travel document has got expired i want to know if i can go back to the us with a expired travel document and im only 16 years old.

  102. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Alen,

    No, but if you’re a US citizen all you have to do is look up the nearest US embassy and they should be able to help you get a new one. At least one of your parents will need to accompany you, or if they aren’t in the country they’ll need to fill out and notarize a permission form allowing another adult to accompany you. Good luck!

  103. stephanie

    I has a expired passport and i was born in florida and in 2 weeks im going to chicago can i still go even if my passport is expired??

  104. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Stephanie,

    Of course, you don’t need a passport to take a domestic flight. Just bring a valid ID with you (like a driver’s license). Now, that’s assuming that you are currently in the US- if you’re overseas you need to contact the nearest US embassy to renew your passport before you go.

    Hope this helps!

  105. Abigail Morales

    my passport expired ( i am a US citizen) and my dad wants me to fly out to Wisconsin next week. i live in Michigan. can i still travel only with my school ID? because i am 14 years old, turning 15 in October. is it okay?

  106. palkeiy

    i have a green card , and i wanna go back to jordan to visit
    but my Jordanian expired since 2009 , so, its gonna be there any problem ??

  107. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Palkeiy,

    You’ll need to get in touch with the Jordanian Embassy to get a new Jordanian passport before you can travel. You can’t travel out of the country if it’s expired. Good luck!

  108. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Abigail,

    Per the TSA, children under 18 aren’t required to show ID. You should be fine. Have a great trip!

  109. Altoon

    I am going to renew my US passport, I still have six months for expiration. Do I loose these six months, or they will be added to the actual expiration date. and I get two years and six month?

  110. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Altoon,

    You lose those six months, unfortunately. Your new passport should be good for 10 years. However, lots of countries won’t let you in if your passport expires in the next six months, so I would strongly advise you to go ahead and renew it anyway.

    Hope this helps!


  111. Erendira

    Hi I’m driving to the border for dental stuff and my U.S. passport expired nov 2011. Can I return back with expired passport as long as I show my birth certificate and driver license? I’m only going to Mexican border town.

  112. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Erendira,

    You should be able to get back across but you may be hassled a bit since you’re supposed to have a valid passport or a passport card. They could potentially keep for you a little bit while they verify that the documents you have are valid.

    I’d recommend getting a passport card at least before you go. Coming back with a sore mouth, you’re going to want the border crossing to be as smooth as possible!

  113. Dawn

    My daughter is 8 and her passport just expired, we are leaving for Aruba tomorrow to visit friends for 5 days. I have her birth certificate and her social security card. I spoke to someone at the airline and they told me to go to the airport and the tsa would make a decision. what do you think?

  114. Alison Kroulek

    I’m sorry, but they probably won’t let her fly. Best of luck to you, though!

  115. Alain

    I would like to know if I could fly domestically with a foreign international driver license. My passport has expired and I cannot get a new one unless I go to my country’ nearest consulate wich is in NYC or DC.
    I have no state issued ID. I live in California.
    Thank you.

  116. Johanna Roberts

    I want to travel from Nashville to San Francisco in two days.
    My sons passport is expired. I am german and have a permanent resident card. He has a german valid passport. Will he be able to travel with it? Or can the US military give him an ID card for travelling?

  117. Charmaine

    I need to go to Jamaica in the AM and just discovered that my US passport has expired. Can I still try to use and then renew it at the embassy in Jamaica?

  118. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Charmaine,

    No, it’s highly unlikely that the airline will even let you board the the plane with an expired passport. Sorry!

  119. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Johanna,

    Nashville to San Francisco is within the US. He shouldn’t need anything but photo ID if he’s over 16. Have a great trip!

  120. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Alain,

    That’s not on the list of TSA-accepted documents: You should bring it, though, along with any other documents you have that could be used to establish your identity. Also, give yourself lots of time to get through security. See the link for more details. Good luck!

  121. Carrie

    Hi there,
    I’m traveling at the end of the month to Las Vegas, the ticket booked under my maiden name through flier miles. My passport is the only ID I have with my maiden name on it, but I just realized it may be expired, like a month expired. Could I still travel with it if I bring my license with my photo as well?

  122. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Kerri,

    I would contact the airline and see what they recommend. They may want additional documents like a marriage certificate, or they be able to fix it for you. Good luck!

  123. Iris

    Hi, my 16 year old brother is visiting me from Mexico. I live in North Dakota. He is traveling from Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco to Tijuana, BC. I know that they dont need a passport to travel within Mexico. But when he crosses the border to fly from San Diego to Williston, ND, will he need a passport? His passport expired last month and he hasnt renewed it because he’s been in Mexico for the past 3 years. And he doesnt have any form of ID except for his Birth Certificate. I think that the only form of ID is a forgeign one. Please Help! thank you!

  124. Matthew

    Hello , We are traveling to Canada in the am by car, A passenger passport has exspired two months ago. Can we still use it to cross and come back?, and what other things can we do or use to help submit that she is a US citizen to help further our luck in this problem.

  125. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Matthew,

    You can cross into Canada with just a birth certificate, but you may be up for extra scrutiny and delays re-entering the US. They’ll have to let her in eventually, but how long it takes and how much of a pain it is to cross back over are up to the individual officers. Good luck!

  126. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Iris,

    US citizens returning from Mexico by land need one of the following: a passport, a passport card, an “enhanced” driver’s license with a special chip in it or a trusted-traveler card (like NEXUS, FAST or SENTRI). Tell him to contact the nearest US embassy and get his passport renewed.

  127. Bill F.

    What happens if my passport expires while I’m in Mexico?

  128. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Bill,

    You’ll need to get it renewed at the nearest US embassy. Good luck!

  129. Vanessa P

    My son (14 yr) has an expired passport and is traveling by land to Mexico from California. Can he cross with his birth certificate?

  130. Vanessa P

    cont. for last comment . . .

    We are traveling within the border zone to Rosarito, MX.

  131. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Vanessa,

    Yes, since you’ll be traveling by land and staying within the border zone. Have a great trip!

  132. Judy

    I am stationed in Germany with us army. I just received a red cross message that I need to return to Florida for my fathers illness. My daughters passport has expired and my flight leaves tomorrow. Can I get into the states with birth certificates and her expired passport?

  133. Judy

    We are all us citizens

  134. Alison Kroulek

    Judy, I’m so sorry about your father. If you haven’t already, you need to contact the US Embassy immediately to get an emergency passport or an emergency travel document issued for your daughter. Good luck!

  135. JUan

    my sister just went to mexico, with an expire passport, she is a resident in California, has a driver licence, university id, and works,
    will she be able to come back to US??

  136. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Juan,

    If she drives across (which I’m assuming is how she’s traveling), then she may be temporarily detained at the border while they verify her citizenship. But, as long as she’s an American citizen they can’t keep her out. Hope this helps!

  137. MARIA


  138. isabel

    Can I depart the USA with an expired argentine passport? In Argentina I was told I can enter with expired passport but I am unsure if they will let me fly from USA

  139. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Isabel,

    It’s unlikely that you’ll be allowed to fly with an expired Argentine passport. However, if you are also a US citizen and have a valid US passport, you can use that to leave the US (and actually, you are required to do so).

    If you aren’t a dual citizen and just have the expired Argentinian passport, contact the Embassy of Argentina for help:

  140. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Maria,

    You need a valid passport for ALL international flights, including flights back to the US from another country. Contact the nearest US Embassy ASAP to get your passport renewed.

    Good luck!

  141. victor

    Hey Alison, seems like you reply pretty quick to posts here although there haven’t been any for a few months.
    I’m planning to travel by train (Amtrak specifically) from California to Minnesota.

    From what I read on here, and from what I kinda understand but to make sure, would it be possible to travel with an expired passport along with my birth certificate? Most posts here are international situations mine isn’t, and mine is by train rather than plane, still I want to make sure.

    I also have an expired driver’s permit, and my high school ID even though I graduated last year. I’m 19.

  142. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Victor,

    Looks like you need to get a state ID card at least, just to have something that’s not expired. You can find a list of acceptable forms of ID here:

  143. Dolly

    Can a us citizen travel from Dominican republic to florida with expired passport? my uncle is in DR retired and needs to come to usa medical reasons. he relized his passport is expired.

  144. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Dolly, No, but he can contact the nearest US Embassy for a renewal.

  145. Luzdel Juarez

    Hi my daughter it 12 and her passport expired this year.We were wanting to go Chicago on wed. and are in Mississippi. Can she still get on the plane with the expired passport or what can i bring or do to get her on the plane

  146. Alison Kroulek

    Sure, she doesn’t need a photo ID as she is under 18 and traveling within the US.

  147. Jennifer

    My sons US passport expires March 16. We originally got it expedited for a 1 year passport at the us embassy in the Philippines, where he was born. We live in china now and we are returning to the US for a vacation February 9. Do i need to renew his passport before we leave Shanghai? I was hoping to get it renewed as soon as we return to the US.

  148. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Jennifer, You should be fine as long as you’re back in the US before it expires. :)

  149. Julie

    My daughter’s US passport expires at the end of September. However, at the beginning of September, I plan to bring her from the US (where she is vacationing), back to Côte d’Ivoire (our home, where she is also a citizen and holds a passport). Will she be allowed to leave the US with only a few weeks left on her passport?

  150. Alison Kroulek

    She can leave, she’ll just need to renew at the nearest embassy or consulate to get back into the US. If she’s under 16 you’ll need the consent of both parents to get a new US passport so it might be simpler just to renew it before you go.

  151. Rivero Brea

    my question is if i can go back to Dominican Republic with an expired passport to renew it there instead?

  152. Alison Kroulek

    Hi Rivero,

    No, you wouldn’t be allowed to fly. If you’re a citizen of the Dominican Republic, contact the nearest embassy or consulate for help.

Leave a Reply