WSJ link
Passport Forms Supplemental Forms Passport Requirements
Proof of Identity Proof of Citizenship Proof of Travel Company Letter Government Fee Payment Passport Photos
Lost/Stolen Passport Child Passport Passport Renewal Passport Photos
Track your Order

Rush My US Passport in 3 Easy Steps!

Need a Travel Visa? can expedite a travel visa for you to any country in the world.

View Requirements >

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

The following are accepted proof of U.S. Citizenship.

1 Original Naturalization Certificate

2 Original Previously Issued Passport

(With A Raised Seal)

3 Original or Certified state issued Birth Certificate

  • To obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate contact the office of vital records where you were born.
  • If you live in California or Texas you must provide the "long form birth certificate".
  • To Obtain an official, certified birth certificates online - quickly and securely, RushMyPassport recommends

4 File Search

If have been issued a passport and no longer have the passport in your possession, you may request a file search with the U.S. Passport Agency. To do so you must.

  • Include a written request for a file search with the other required documents.
  • Include an additional personal check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State for $150

Note: File search fees are in addition to the standard government processing fees. A file search may take an additional 5 days to process.

5 Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form-FS 240) or Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)

If you were born abroad to one or more U.S. citizens, your parents should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350).

To obtain a replacement for a lost or mutilated document, please submit a notarized written request including the original FS-240 or a notarized affidavit concerning the loss of the FS-240 and a $30 fee, payable to the "Department of State." Mail it to the address below. The affidavit must contain the: 1) name, (2) date, and (3) place of birth of the subject; (4) a statement regarding the whereabouts of the original FS-240; and (5) be signed by the subject, parent, or legal representative.

The DS-1350 or a replacement FS-240 can be obtained by writing to:
Vital Records Section
Passport Services
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

A written request must be notarized and must include a copy of valid photo identification of the requester. The written request must include:

  • Full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Full names of parents
  • Serial number, if known, of the FS-240 (on those issued after November 1, 1990)
  • Any available passport information
  • Signature of requester
  • Notarized affidavit for a replacement FS-240 (if applicable)

Note: For Panama Canal Zone (PCZ) birth certificates, just include items (1) through (3). The fee for an FS-240 is $30.
Note: Fees for DS-1350 and PCZ certificates are $30 for the first copy, $20 each additional copy.