For a New or First Time passport, you’ll need to gather the following required documents:
- Form DS-11 application (this can be done online and printed, but don’t sign it until you get to the acceptance agency and an agent gives you the go-ahead).
- Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or an undamaged US passport).
- Proof of identity (usually a driver’s license or state-issued ID card)
- Photocopy of the ID you submitted.
- 2 passport photos.
Next, you will need to visit a local passport acceptance facility, which are usually places like libraries, county court clerks and post offices. You can find the nearest one here.
You’ll also need to pay the required fees:
- For adults, a $110 application fee plus a $25 execution fee.
- For children under 16, an $80 application fee plus a $25 execution fee.
- For expedited service, a $60.00 expediting fee plus $14.95 for overnight delivery (optional, but recommended).
Currently, it takes about 6 weeks for a normal passport application to be processed and about 3 weeks for an expedited application. If you need your passport more quickly, a private passport expediting company like RushMyPassport.com is the easiest way to go. We can have your application processed in as little as 24 hours!